Constantly buying games as a content creator burns a hole in your wallet. But worry not! We’ll teach you how to get free game keys.
Keeping It Brief
- Constantly buying games to create content is expensive, especially if you are a smaller content creator.
- However, if you have an audience, you can get free game keys.
- This article will teach you how streamers, YouTubers, and other content creators can get free game keys.
Buying Games As A Content Creator
Streaming games is an expensive hobby, especially when most new games are $40 or more.
But if you have an audience watching your content, you may be eligible to get free game keys.
Although your viewership may not be large enough to get a sponsorship to play games, developers / publishers may still choose to give you a free (press / review) key.
Since creating content for their game gives them more exposure, they don’t mind giving you a free key. And as a result, you don’t spend money buying games!
How To Get Free Game Keys (For Streamers & YouTubers)
No matter how small your viewership is, you could be eligible for free game keys. Your chances of receiving keys from developers increase if you:
- Build a good brand and maintain consistency throughout all social media accounts.
- Stream/upload content consistently.
- Categorize your content correctly and create engaging titles.
- Be genuine while requesting free game keys or while accepting offers from developers / publishers.
- Create entertaining and engaging media coverage (let’s play, review, etc.) for games offered to you.
Keymailer is one of the largest services that brings developers / publishers and creators together. Almost 20% of gaming channels use Keymailer to connect with publishers to request free game keys.
Furthermore, Keymailer collects your stats and creates a profile that publishers can access. And from time to time, developers and publishers send you offers for games they think you might be interested in.
Keymailer’s long-standing reputation and quality control have attracted many famous developers and publishers, allowing content creators to get free game keys for thousands of games.
Keymailer keeps it simple and makes it easy for creators and publishers to connect with each other.
Lurkit is a service that offers creators tools to build a powerful marketing page for themselves and connect with publishers and developers to get free games that your audience wants to watch.
Unlike other similar services, Lurkit gives creators the tool to build their creator page to bring all of their social presence into one place.
They also provide insights and analytics that help you easily follow your growth and learn from your most important numbers.
And while Lurkit may not have the impressive number of developers and publishers that Keymailer has, its more modern approach makes it very friendly for both creators and developers / publishers to connect.
Terminals is a relatively new service that allows creators to get exclusive access to games and build closer relationships with developers and publishers.
While Terminals may not have an extensive list of developers and publishers participating on their service, it is still a reliable source for creators to get free game keys.
Thanks to Terminals, it is easier to connect with indie developers and play their games.
Get Free Game Keys Yourself
Sometimes you may have to reach out to developers or publishers yourself for a press / creator copy of their game.
While getting in touch with developers / publishers directly is time-consuming, and you have to put in all the work, it could be your only choice at times.
Contacting the developer or publisher is necessary if you need more than one free game key to organize a giveaway or other marketing strategies.
Here’s what you should do before you contact a developer or publisher yourself:
- Create a document (PDF/Sheet etc.) with your stats as a creator. Include your average viewership, reach, describe your audience, and list your feats as a content creator.
- Create a “pitch” for yourself. You are marketing yourself as a media outlet since you are one as a content creator.
Below is a generic template that you can use as a skeleton:
We hope this article helped you learn how to get free game keys as a content creator. Good luck in creating awesome content!